- 1. Get the VIN number of the car you wish to buy.
2. Make sure the VIN number is legit – buying a car from a reputable used car dealer can reduce your risk of VIN cloning or VIN tampering.
3. Once you make sure your VIN number is legit, go to NICB (National Insurance Crime Bureau) Website to check the VIN for theft and fraud.
4. If your vehicle (VIN) has not been identified as a vehicle listed in the VInCheck Theft, it has not been stolen.
5. In addition, you can get a detailed vehicle history report from the DMV.
6. If you have become a victim of the vehicle or auto fraud, contact authorities immediately.